CODE OF ETHICS FOR NURSES IN THE KINGDOM OF TONGA
- to conserve life and contribute to the promotion of health through the prevention of and alleviation of ill-health and suffering to the best of the nurse's knowledge.
- to uphold the laws, rules and regulations of the institution, the Ministry of Health and the Kingdom.
- to give equal consideration and respect to clients in the nurse's care, regardless or their origin, politics, religion, social position or traditional customs.
- to recognise not only the nurse's responsibilities but the limitations of the nurse's professional functions, to co-operate and maintain interpersonal relationships that enhance the functioning of the health team.
- to keep confidential any information concerning clients and others except where release is required medically or by law.
- to be committed to the nurse’s professional duty, its growth and development and to accept responsibility for the outcome of the nurse's judgement of practice.
- to adhere to standards of Christian Morality in the nurse's personal life which reflects credit upon the nursing profession.
(by QSSN faculty: May 2000)